Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My life living in The Elder Scrolls

As many of you know, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will be coming out this Friday, 11:11:11. So why not blog about my life inside this amazing game series.

That's what it is though, a life inside a video game. No not like The Sims, but in a place long ago, in a universe where magic is alive and everywhere. I have only played the 3rd (Morrowind) and 4th game (Oblivion) of the series. I destroyed Morrowind, but I didn't put much time in Oblivion. Why, just didn't have time and Halo: Reach controlled most of my XBox 360 life. Time well wasted. lol.

One of my best friends Matt called me up years and years ago about this game he bought. (Morrowind) He first told me when he first played the game, he spent maybe an hour in it, turned it off and thought `why did I buy they crap.` About a week or two later, like a good gamer, he gave it another shot. Never give any game only one try. Give it 2 or even 4 tries before giving up, you may find you like it after the 2nd or 3rd try. Anyways, after he game it another go, he loved the game and we spent a good hour or two on the phone talking about it. He was explaining everything he's seen and done in the game and all the features it had. He then said that he has to bring it over for me to try it.


Later that weekend he brought it over and I tried it. It was a little much to take in at first but once I understood how this game was I fell in rpg love lol.

It took me about 6 months before I picked up my own copy. I got the game of the year edition so I could have more stuff to do. I don't remember how many hours I spent in it but the days in the game was over 700.

The 2 crazy things that stand out in my mind from Morrowind was my first character, I just randomly roamed and I ended up near the ghost gate and I kept getting killed by these really strong guys. So the only way I could get out was to use the scroll that added 1000 points to your acrobatics. I pointed my character toward the shortest distance to water and jumped. Everything was going good. On my decent all I could see was water. Then something slowly appeared, an island. Out of all the area I was going to land I landed on the only island around. The island was also the size of a freakin bed. Seriously wtf..?

The other thing was that on day 666 was when my character turned into a warewolf. I didn't plan that to happen it just did. I thought it was pretty interesting.

Now for Oblivion. I played many hours into that but I never went too far in the story line. At one time I was borrowing my brother-in-laws XBox 360 while he has my Wii. I had my buddy's Oblivion game but I didn't have the system long enough to beat it.

About 16-18 months ago I got my first XBox 360 and I had to start over. Soon after I got Halo: Reach and like I stated above, that sucked up all my time lol. Then many other games got in the way and I just didn't make time for Oblivion. I still plan to play and beat it one day but with Skyrim now here. I might not.

Today is 11-11-11. And I picked up my collectors edition at lunch. The reason I didn't go to the midnight release was that I worked the 2 previous days doing 12hr shifts then Thursday morning I had to get up at 530am to get my daughter to daycare in time an then me to work. And I'm currently working a 12hr shift today so I have to still wait to pop this game in.

I destroyed Morrowind, barely touched Oblivion and now I have Skyrim which I plan to play the shit outta. lol And to get in the mood more, and thanks to my awesome boss, I made a 3' x 4' map of Tamriel, the continent that The Elder Scrolls take place on. If you follow me on Twitter, I posted a picture of me with it on there.

"When I die, my friends will be at my funeral, my good friends will cry at my funeral, but my best friends will change my Facebook status to 'Chillin with Jesus'."

~ JB

No comments:

Post a Comment